Master of Science in Management, Strategy and Leadership
A Balanced Approach to Leadership Excellence
Michigan State University’s newly designed Master of Science degree is built on the latest thinking in management, strategy and leadership. The curriculum incorporates useful and practical knowledge balanced across key components of leadership excellence: human resource management and development, team and organizational leadership, and strategic management.
This program was designed by top management researchers from the AACSB-accredited Broad College of Business who are dedicated to challenging students to develop forward-thinking solutions to some of the most important issues impacting organizations. Much of what is covered in the interactive classroom is based on timely and relevant frontline research findings, not the latest fad on the best sellers list. In fact, the Broad College Management Department faculty has been recognized for more than six years as the most productive researchers in top management journals.
Not an MBA
The MS in Management, Strategy and Leadership is designed for passionate, hardworking, team-oriented professionals looking to maximize their potential in managing people and leading organizations. Unlike an MBA, which usually provides broad-based business knowledge focusing specifically on the core business disciplines of accounting, marketing, finance and operations, this degree program hones in on the knowledge and skills necessary to lead and motivate people while developing “big-picture” strategies.
A 20-Month Degree Designed for You
Now Exclusively Online
Breaking the mold from traditional online graduate degrees, this revolutionary Master of Science program can be completed in less than two years. This graduate degree, offered exclusively online, is designed for working professionals like you looking to earn a degree and advance their careers – around their busy schedules. This program leverages the convenience of anytime, anywhere video-based lectures and an interactive online classroom environment, without sacrificing quality or content. In fact, students will complete 15 five-week courses in an accelerated time period, gaining more skills and knowledge than other 12-course, two-year programs.
What You’ll Learn
Instilling a roll-up-your-sleeves work ethic sought by today’s top employers, MSU’s Master of Science degree will help you develop your personal influential style and gain the comprehensive leadership skills you need to move up in your career. The curriculum includes key components designed to help you lead an organization – from motivating individuals and mobilizing teams to making strategic decisions and implementing long-term plans.
- Ways to analyze current and future industry trends and their impact on your organization
- Best practices for recruiting, developing and retaining top talent
- Refined decision-making techniques utilizing frameworks and real business scenarios, broadening perspectives and enhancing capabilities for application to organizational situations
- How to evaluate the market landscape and identify ways to positively impact your competitive position
- Evidence-based perspectives, models and concepts to analyze current organizational issues and how to improve them
- Anticipate, plan for and execute organizational change with proven strategy planning techniques
- Strategies to counter changes in industry life cycles and global business operations
- Differences in strategic and tactical planning
- How training, succession planning and leadership development positively impact an organization
- Different types of behaviors (such as participative, transactional, ethical, transformational, directive and supportive) and how they impact effective leadership
- Differences between managing and leading, and how to develop, motivate, inspire and sustain effective teams to drive organizational success
- How charismatic leaders drive performance through emotional intelligence, visioning, confidence expression and communication
Who Should Enroll?
This graduate degree is designed for professionals who have earned a bachelor’s degree and have at least three years of full-time managerial experience in a supervisory role. Ideal candidates will have earned a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate grade point average GPA, have a high degree of advancement potential into an organizational leadership role and possess important personal and managerial attributes.
Qualified applicants with 3 or more years’ full-time managerial experience in a supervisory role and cumulative undergradute average 3.0 GPA are not required to submit GMAT or GRE scores for admissions consideration. Applicants may compensate for deficiencies in their background by providing a strong score on the GMAT or GRE. Submitted GMAT or GRE scores must not be more than five years old.